‘I’m used to rejection’: Vogue Williams on losing Dancing with the Stars gig to Amanda Byram
She was tipped as front runner for the gig but Vogue Williams has admitted she’s “used to rejection” after getting turned down for Dancing With The Stars.
The Howth woman (30) confirmed she won’t be fronting the new RTE series earlier this month.
Amanda Byram has since been linked to the role, with BBC presenter Angela Scanlon also said to be close to nabbing the second presenting gig.
“You know what, it would have been a good job to get, I’m not going to lie, it definitely would have. I’m in an industry where you get rejected all the time so I’m used to rejection,” she told the Herald.
The TV star screentested for the series alongside former Big Brother winner Brian Dowling, who previously told this newspaper he auditioned for the show four times with several different female presenters.
The Kildare man admitted he was nervous ahead of the screen test for the much anticipated series but it was Vogue who put him at ease before their chance to impress producers. While RTE bosses may have turned her down, Vogue insisted she hasn’t lost any sleep over the setback and said it allowed her to say yes to another TV project she has lined up.
“I always work on the basis of, ‘what’s for you won’t pass you by’ and now I’ve got something else that I always really wanted to do,” she said.
“Even though I wanted to do Dancing With The Stars, it just worked out.
“I had to find out the answer to Dancing With The Stars because I was sort of caught between the two.”
Amanda is said to have edged out competition from the former Fade Street star because of her experience hosting shows in the US and the UK, while bosses worried young model Vogue may alienate the middle Ireland audience watching on Sunday nights.
However, there’s no bad blood between Vogue and the powers that be at Montrose as her latest documentary series has proved a success.
Her current show, Vogue Williams On The Edge, recently aired an episode that explored bodybuilding and fitness obsession.
The former reality TV star admitted she received some backlash from people in the bodybuilding industry who were unhappy with the show’s portrayal of steroid use among competitors.
“I love RTE. It’s one series a year. But it takes so long and they’re my ideas,” she said.
“There was a bit of backlash from some of the bodybuilders who were not happy with how it was portrayed on the show but, at the end of the day, bodybuilding is a sport and it’s for one [competition] day.
“There’s no way to get down to 8pc body fat in a healthy way. You’re pushing your body to the limit. You’re dehydrated on the day of the competition. It was an interesting one to do.”
Dancing With The Stars is set to have 11 contestants competing to be crowned king or queen of the dancefloor.
Bosses have kept most of the cast under wraps, but former RTE broadcaster and TV legend Anne Doyle is said to be taking part.