Tuesday 24 April 2018

'I had no idea - this is a huge shock' - Broadcaster Dil Wickremasinghe's weekend Newstalk show axed

Dil Wickremasinghe. Picture: Tony Gavin
Dil Wickremasinghe. Picture: Tony Gavin

Ryan Nugent

Broadcaster Dil Wickremasinghe's Newstalk show has been cancelled.

Ms Wickremasinghe released a statement stating that she was "shocked and disappointed" following the decision.

She said the decision was nothing to do with the ratings of her show 'Global Village'.

She had previously made a strong statement following George Hook's comments on rape last month, where she had said she would not present her show if action was not taken.

Speaking to the Irish Independent last night, Ms Wickremasinghe said she hopes to remain in broadcasting, but said the lack of diversity in the media industry was a worry.

"I had no idea that this was happening. Newstalk has been a huge part of my life over the past 10 years," she said.

Newstalk was unavailable for comment.

Meanwhile, media group Communicorp says no 'Irish Times' journalist will be accepted as a contributor on any of its stations following an article written by Fintan O'Toole published on September 12.

Irish Independent

Entertainment Newsletter

Going out? Staying in? From great gigs to film reviews and listings, entertainment has you covered.

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment