Winehouse 'did detox to excess'
Amy Winehouse's father said he believes she died after suffering a seizure related to alcohol detoxification and "there was nobody there to rescue her".
The soul diva, who had fought drug and alcohol problems for years, was found dead in bed at her London home on July 23.
Her family said toxicology reports indicated there was alcohol in her bloodstream but it was unclear whether this had contributed to her death at age 27.
Mitch Winehouse said during a taping of a talkshow in the US that traces of the prescription drug Librium, which is used to fight anxiety and withdrawal symptoms of alcoholism, were found in her body.
"Everything Amy did, she did to excess," he said on the show, which is to air as Cooper's debut on Monday. "She drank to excess and did detox to excess."
He said he regretted that his daughter - whose most famous song, Rehab, has her answering "no, no, no" when told to go to rehab - was trying to kick her alcoholism without a doctor's help.
He said: "The periods of abstinence were becoming longer, and the periods of drinking were becoming shorter. It was heading in the right direction."
The singer, whose other hits include Tears Dry On Their Own, had suffered seizures during this period and would lose consciousness.
Her father admitted he was speculating that this happened on the morning she died and said he should find out more conclusively how she died when a full inquest into her death begins next month.
Years earlier, when Amy Winehouse was on harder drugs including heroin and cocaine, her father said, he would not have been surprised if she had died.