Wednesday 18 July 2018

Victoria Beckham rules out Spice Girls tour

Reports this week claimed they would be playing live across the UK and US this summer.

The Spice Girls (Fiona Hanson/PA)
The Spice Girls (Fiona Hanson/PA)

By Joe Nerssessian, Press Association

Victoria Beckham has ruled out a rumoured Spice Girls reunion tour.

The pop star turned fashion designer, 43, rejected reports the much-loved quintet would be playing live across the UK and US this summer.

It comes after the group confirmed plans to work again on new projects following a reunion lunch at Geri Horner’s house in Hertfordshire last week.

Beckham told Vogue: “I’m not going on tour. The girls aren’t going on tour.”

Asked what their plans did involve, she said: “There’s something so strong in the message of what the Spice Girls stood for. What is that in the future? What does that look like? We were just bouncing ideas around. Brainstorming.

“It was so great to see the girls. We had such a fun lunch. It was really, really, really lovely. I still speak to them all individually, but for us all to get together was really lovely,” Beckham added.

After debut single Wannabe hit number one in 1996, the Spice Girls became a smash-hit success before splitting in 2000.

The quintet embarked on a three-month tour of Europe and the US in 2008 to tie in with a greatest hits release and to act as a final farewell to fans.

They emerged once more to perform at the Olympic closing ceremony in 2012 but an expected comeback in 2016 with Brown, Horner and Bunton failed to materialise.

Press Association

Entertainment Newsletter

Going out? Staying in? From great gigs to film reviews and listings, entertainment has you covered.

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment