Entertainment Music

Thursday 27 June 2019

Tyler, The Creator forced to cancel first UK gig after ban on entering country

Having announced a surprise show on his first appearance in the country for four years, the rapper was then forced to cancel due to overcrowding.

Tyler, The Creatoer, left, and the crowd that showed up for his first UK show in four years (Rex/Rosie Edwards/PA)
Tyler, The Creatoer, left, and the crowd that showed up for his first UK show in four years (Rex/Rosie Edwards/PA)

By Stephen Jones, Press Association

US rapper Tyler, The Creator said a “rowdy” crowd forced him to cancel his first UK show since a ban on entering the country was lifted.

The Odd Future co-founder had announced the gig in Peckham, south-east London, with only a few hours’ notice, and surprised fans by tweeting a picture of himself outside Buckingham Palace.

However, minutes after the show was due to start, Tyler wrote on Twitter: “Too rowdy, cops cancelled it, go home, i tried, the gate climbing nail in the coffin, they go nervous, too bad was a cool idea but hey, , igor out now.”

The tweet was later deleted.

The Metropolitan Police said the event had been cancelled by the venue due to overcrowding issues, adding that there were no crimes, reported injuries or arrests.

Toby Stanton, 19, travelled from Bethnal Green in east London to get to the show and said people were climbing over cars during a rush to get in the venue.

“We turned up on the overground and people were sprinting towards the venue, the cars were trapped in the crowds and people still sat in them … people [were] climbing over the cars.”

“Every time they opened the gate a little bit to the venue people charged towards the gate and then bounced back when they closed it.

Mr Stanton added that local residents “seemed fuming they couldn’t even get home”.

The artist, whose real name is Tyler Okonma, was banned from entering the UK in 2015 by then home secretary Theresa May due to lyrics said to encourage “violence and intolerance of homosexuality”.

It is understood the ban was lifted from February 13 and he arrived at Luton Airport in the early hours of Saturday.

At the time of the ban, he posted on social media: “BASED ON LYRICS FROM 2009 I AM NOT ALLOWED IN THE UK FOR 3-5 YEARS ( although i was there 8 weeks ago) THAT IS WHY THE SHOWS WERE CANCELLED.”

The Home Office said: “We do not routinely comment on individual cases.”

Press Association

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment

Back to top