ALCOHOL will only be available in a high-security area during concerts attracting teenagers at the new O2 arena, in a bid to halt underage drinking.
Gardai have been assured by the owners of the new €80m arena, formerly the Point Depot, that measures will be in place to stop drink being served to underage fans.
General manager Cormac Rennick told barrister Dorothy Collins in the Circuit Civil Court yesterday that all "alcohol dispensaries" would be disabled during concerts attracting mainly teenagers and young adults.
Kerry Jane Morgan, counsel for the State, told Judge Joseph Mathews that underage drinking was one of the most serious concerns that gardai have with the management of the new venue.
Ms Morgan said the management had put in place a system to close down all ground floor concourse bars at mainly teenage all-standing concerts. Last week she had insisted on the adjournment of an application for a drinks licence until management put such restrictions in place.
Mr Rennick said mainly adult attractions would not cause an underage drink problem for management.
Judge Mathews granted a seven day publican's licence to the O2, which opens its doors for the first time for the sell-out annual Childline concert on December 16.