| 19°C Dublin

New direction for One Direction? Boyband may be forced to change name

Close

One Direction. Photo: Getty Images

One Direction. Photo: Getty Images

One Direction. Photo: Getty Images

BOYBAND One Direction and record label boss Simon Cowell are facing a lawsuit in the US over the use of the band’s name, it has emerged.

An American group that also uses the name ‘One Direction’ have filed a lawsuit seeking damages off the band, and more critically an injunction to prevent band continuing to use the name.



The American band’s lawyer, Peter Ross, told The Hollywood Reporter that Cowell and the record label were made aware of the problem when they tried to lodge an application at the Trademark Office when they launched the band in the US.



Ross said “Rather than change their name or do anything to create confusion or avoid damage to our goodwill, they chose to press ahead and come on their tour.”



He also said “we've been in negotiations for a month to find a resolution.” However the lawyer warned “In our view, the negotiations weren't turning out to be very productive.”



The US version of the band were formed in 2009, one year before the UK version of the band were created at boot camp of X Factor.



The band, which includes Irish member Niall Horan, have had phenomenal success in the US in recent months, including a number one album and an appearance last weekend on Saturday Night Live.



The US version of the band are seeking $1m (€760,000) in damages, as well as an injunction preventing the use of the name.



Simon Cowell’s record label Syco has so far refused to comment on the case.