Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want for Christmas is You’ 20 year reign as most-played Christmas track has ended
Of all the Christmas tunes that batter your eardrums as you shop during the festive season Mariah Carey's 'All I Want for Christmas' has, until now, been the most played.
In fact, it has been the most-played Christmas track in stores for the past two decades in the US, ever since it released in 1994.
Paste magazine reports that it has now been overtaken by The Shin's cover of Paul McCartney's Wonderful Christmastime.
PlayNetwork, a company, which curates the music shops play at Christmas, looked at 400 brands and what they'll be playing and compiled a list of the songs which will plague shoppers the most this festive season.
Paul McCartney's own version of the song only comes in at number 17.
There are songs by everyone from Christina Aguilera to Coldplay and Elvis. Here's the full list:
1) The Shins - Wonderful Christmastime
2) Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You
3) Christina Aguilera - Christmas Time
4) Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping
5) Jack Johnson - Someday At Christmas
6) Kelly Clarkson - Underneath The Tree
7) Michael Buble - A Holly Jolly Christmas
8) Bing Crosby - White Christmas
9) Train - What Christmas Means To Me
10) Ella Fitzgerald - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
11) Coldplay - Christmas Lights
12) Jose Feliciano - Feliz Navidad
13) Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - White Christmas
14) Vince Guaraldi Trio - Christmas Time Is Here
15) Sam Smith - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
16) Pentatonix - The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)
17) Paul McCartney -Wonderful Christmastime
18) She & Him - Baby It’s Cold Outside
19) Elvis Presley - Blue Christmas
20) Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)”