Ever since reports emerged that Tupac Shakur was shot and killed in a drive by shooting in 1996 rumours have abounded that the rapper did not actually die.
Now a former detective has reportedly come forward to say that he helped Tupac to fake his death.
Tupac was just 25 when he was killed near the Las Vegas strip, but David Myers, who is in a critical condition in hospital, claims he was paid a portion of $1.5m, along with up to 30 others, to take part in a cover up.
The Mirror reports that Myers said, "The world needs to know what I did. I'm ashamed that I let a price be put on my word and I cannot die without letting the world know."
The former police officer also reportedly claims that Suge Knight, who is currently facing murder charges in jail and has claimed Tupac is still alive, was also in on the plan.
He also suggests that Tupac even paid $50,000 for a body double to be taken to the morgue, a claim which is at odds with the fact that the rapper did not die at the scene but rather spent a week in hospital before dying from his injuries.
The official line is that Shakur was shot multiple times in a drive-by shooting on September 7, 1996.
He had attended the Mike Tyson Vs Bruce Sheldon boxing match earlier that evening after which he was involved in an altercation with gang member Orlando 'Baby Lane' Anderson.
He was shot while driving to a night club. Tupac had his head out of the sunroof of the car and was shot in the chest, pelvis, hand, thigh and lung.
The latest claims come just as a movie about the rapper's life is in the offing. Producer Randall Emmett has said the film will "tease the beginning of his life" and has the rights to use Tupac's music.