Monday 14 October 2019

Domingo withdraws from Met Opera after harassment reports

Domingo had sung in rehearsals, and the Met had said as late as Monday that he was scheduled to perform on Wednesday.

Opera star Placido Domingo (Laszlo Balogh/AP)
Opera star Placido Domingo (Laszlo Balogh/AP)

By Ronald Blum, Associated Press

Placido Domingo has agreed to withdraw from all future performances at the Metropolitan Opera following accusations of sexual harassment.

The 78-year-old classical music star had been scheduled to sing the title role in the season debut of Verdi’s “Macbeth” on Wednesday night, which would have been his first performance in the United States since the reports.

Domingo had sung in rehearsals, and the Met had said as late as Monday that he was scheduled to perform on Wednesday.

The company says in a statement “The Met and Mr Domingo are in agreement that he needed to step down.”

PA Media

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment

Back to top