Amy Winehouse poisoned by alcohol
The inquest into the death of Amy Winehouse has recorded a verdict of misadventure after a coroner heard the star was more than five times the legal drink-drive limit.
The London inquest was told Amy hit the bottle after being dry for three weeks and was poisoned by alcohol.
St Pancras coroner Suzanne Greenway said: "She had consumed sufficient alcohol at 416mg per decilitre (of blood) and the unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels was her sudden and unexpected death."
The star, who had kicked her drug habit, was found in bed in her Camden flat, in north London, on July 23. Police found three bottles of vodka, two large and one small.
The 27-year-old's vital organs were in good health, with no traces of illegal drugs. But huge amounts of alcohol in her system could have stopped her breathing and sent her into a coma.
After the inquest, Amy's family said in a statement that it was of "some relief to finally find out what happened to Amy".
"The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time.She had started drinking again that week after a period of abstinence," they said.
Her GP, Dr Christina Romete, said she saw the singer the night before she died, when Amy didn't know if she was going to stop drinking but "she did not want to die".
"She was looking forward to the future," said the doctor, as Amy's tearful parents Mitch and Janis listened.
Amy was heard by her live-in security guard in her bedroom laughing, listening to music and watching television the night before she died.