Wednesday 22 November 2017

Wright quit Ant-Man in script clash

Edgar Wright has quit as director of Ant-Man
Edgar Wright has quit as director of Ant-Man

Edgar Wright reportedly quit Ant-Man due to clashes with Marvel over the script.

The British director had been working on the script for the Ant-Man movie with Attack The Block's Joe Cornish since 2012. But last week Edgar and Marvel released a joint statement saying the director and studio had differences over their vision for the film and had made an "amicable" decision to part ways.

Insiders have told Latino Review that after asking Edgar and Joe to redraft the script several times, Marvel took the screenplay away from them and gave it to two other writers.

The movie blog reports the script was returned to Edgar "completely undone. Poorer, homogenised, and not Edgar's vision."

The source said: "Edgar and Joe were upset by the sudden, out of nowhere lack of faith in them as filmmakers."

Edgar - whose credits include The World's End, Hot Fuzz, Shaun Of The Dead and Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - has previously spoken about what a big fan he was of the comicbooks.

A new director is now being sought for the film which will star Paul Rudd as Ant-Man, a scientist who can shrink himself to the size of an insect. The film is still due for release in July 2015.

Press Association

Promoted Links

Entertainment Newsletter

Going out? Staying in? From great gigs to film reviews and listings, entertainment has you covered.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment