Saturday 25 November 2017

The Film Show: Paul Whitington and Ed Power have the lowdown on 'Lucy' and 'Sin City 2: A Dame to Kill For'

Aoife Kelly

Aoife Kelly

This week on the film show The Independent's Paul Whitington and Ed Power talk ladies kicking ass in Luc Besson's 'Lucy' and Frank Miller's 'Sin City 2: A Dame to Kill For'

Scarlet Johansson has been making some interesting choices lately with 'Her' and 'Under the Skin', and she's on top of her game in Luc Besson's impressive sci-fi thriller 'Lucy'.

The plot revolves around a compound which allows humans, who use only 10% of their brain, to access the other 90%.

Lucy is implanted with the drug and suddenly acquires all sorts of superhuman abilities.  The plot may be utterly ridiculous but ScarJo manages to elevate the material, says Paul Whitington.

Sin City 2: A Dame to Kill For on the other hand boasts a starry cast with Mickey Rourke, Josh Brolin, Jessica Alba, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Bruce Willis and a cameo by Lady Gaga, but both Paul and Ed found it "boring".

Gratuitous female nudity, they say, is a far cry from the more mysterious less-is-more school of noir, which the film claims to aim to channel.

This week's competition is for double passes to see Lucy.  Just log on to, like our page, and tell us which Scarlet Johannson film is your favourite on The Film Show post.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Entertainment Newsletter

Going out? Staying in? From great gigs to film reviews and listings, entertainment has you covered.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment