Gabriel Byrne reveals filming stopped on The Usual Suspects over allegation of 'sexually inappropriate behaviour' against Kevin Spacey
Irish actor Gabriel Byrne has revealed that production on The Usual Suspects was halted for two days after 'allegations of sexually inappropriate behaviour' against co-star Kevin Spacey.
Speaking to the Sunday Times, Byrne said he did not know at the time why production was stopped but has since found out that it was because Spacey had been accused of sexually inappropriate behaviour towards a younger actor.
"I did not know honestly then the extent of his violence," he said of Spacey.
"I mean, he was kind of a joke in that people would say 'That's Kevin', but nobody really understood the depth of his predations. It was only years later that we began to understand that [filming] was closed down for a particular reason and that was because of inappropriate sexual behaviour by Spacey."
The Usual Suspects was released in 1995 and also starred Benicio Del Toro, Kevin Pollak, Stephen Baldwin, Chazz Palminteri and Pete Postlethwaite. Spacey went on to win a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role.
Byrne also spoke about his views on Harvey Weinstein, the disgraced producer who faces multiple allegations of sexually inappropriate behaviour, sexual assault, and rape, from several high profile actresses.
The Irish star worked on three films with Weinstein and said he knew that he was a "sleazebag" and a "bully".
"I saw him be absolutely appalling, not just to women but to men as well. He had very little respect for any kind of human being," he told the Sunday Times.
Lawyers for Harvey Weinstein, 65, have previously said he denies ever acting criminally and said he never engaged in any non-consensual sexual conduct.