Fast and Furious 7 hits €1 billion worldwide in just 17 days, beating Avatar and Avengers
Fast and Furious 7 continues its assault on the worldwide box office by bagging a whopping €1 billion worldwide in a record-breaking 17 days.
The seventh instalment in the long-running petrol-head series is now the fastest live action film to hit that target at the box office.
It has broken the record set by Avatar which managed to reach one billion in 19 days. The Avengers and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 also took 19 days to cross the €1 billion mark.
F&F 7 is also the highest-grossing of all the F&F films and it is the 19th biggest-selling movie of all time.
In Ireland the film remained at number one this weekend, grossing €342,342 in the Republic and Northern Ireland. The all-Ireland gross to date is €3,119,955.
The film sees series regulars Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, and the late Paul Walker return alongside favourites Michelle Rodgriguez, Jordana Brewster, Tyrese Gibson, Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges, Elsay Pataky and Lucas Black.
Jason Statham, Djimon Hounsou, UFC star Ronda Rousey and Kurt Russell also appear in the film directed by James Wan.
The film culminates in a tribute to Paul Walker, who died in a car accident in 2013 half way through filming.
Other Furious 7 records include:
- Second-biggest worldwide opening of all time ($397.2 million) behind only Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.
- Highest-grossing domestic ($147.2 million) and international ($250 million) openings in Universal history.
- Biggest April and Easter opening.
- Highest opening since November of 2013 domestically.
- All-time highest opening weekend of any film in 29 territories.
- Universal’s highest-grossing film of all-time in 26 territories.
- Record-breaking opening day in China ($63.5 million) beating the previous record held by Transformers 4 ($36 million).