Mary Berry: New Bake Off series will do well
The TV chef said she has not got her eye on a Bake Off winner yet.
Former Great British Bake Off judge Mary Berry said she believes the new series will “do well” as she applauded Channel 4 for keeping the show’s original format.
The much-loved TV chef and writer, 82, said she enjoyed last week’s first episode of the latest season, the first without her at the helm.
Her decision to step down came following the baking contest’s creators Love Productions decided to move the programme from it’s BBC home to the commercial broadcaster last year.
But she told the Press Association: “It’s very similar, sensibly they followed exactly the wonderful format and they’ve got great bakers, it’s going to do well.
“I haven’t got my eye on a winner yet, we must never do that as judges.”
After handing over the baton to Prue Leith for the new season, she advised her not to stand in co-judge and show veteran Paul Hollywood’s shadow.
“I told her to hold her own and indeed she did that justice. She’s tall, that helps, you get a bit of presence.”
Her comments came as she picked up a lifetime honour for outstanding contribution to television at London’s glamour TV Choice Awards ceremony on Monday.
Speaking of the prestigious accolade, she said: “I’m very honoured, actually.
“It’s very exciting and very rewarding but it really goes to all the people around me, who support me, all the people who’ve helped me over all these years, because it’s not just me.”
While she listed Bake Off as a career highlight Berry has since been focusing on her own family-orientated cookery shows and is already working on a fresh series to air next year.
She teased her fans: “It’s family cooking and it will be out around February.
“Classic recipes with a bit of a twist; not too many ingredients, pretty easy to make and then family will “mmm” and “ahh” over it.”