The Console War continues: PlayStation 4 vs Xbox One - July 2014
PlayStation 4 may have enjoyed the first victories, but Xbox One isn't lying down. With a top-selling game and a reported doubling of sales, Microsoft's battleship is firing a return salvo.
Microsoft yesterday released a statement claiming "Since the new Xbox One offering launched on June 9th, we’ve seen sales of Xbox One more than double in the US, compared to sales in May, and solid growth in Xbox 360 sales.”
The new Xbox One offering in question is the console minus the Kinect, retailing at a price more in line with the rival PlayStation 4.
Microsoft released no exact sales data with their statement, but it is an indication of a fightback in progress, after the PlayStation 4 took a 3 million sales lead ahead of the Xbox One's 4 million sales earlier this year.
The Microsoft statement was released ahead of NPD Group's March report on the Games Industry, released today.
The NPD report lists PlayStation 4 as the highest selling hardware, despite Xbox exclusive Titanfall leading the way as the highest selling game.
Overall the games industry increased 3pc to $1.03billion.
The NPD top 10 Games:
- Titanfall (Xbox 360/One)
- inFamous Second Son (PS4)
- South Park: The Stick of Truth (360, PS3, PC)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (360,PS4,PS3,XBO, NWU, PC)
- Dark Souls II (PS3, 360)
- Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4, XBO, PS3, 360)
- NBA 2K14 (360, XBO, PS4, PS3, PC)
- Final Fantasy X/X-2 remastered (PS3, PSV)
- The LEGO Movie Videogame (360, 3DS, PS3, NWU, XBO, PS4, PSV)
- Minecraft (360)