GTA 5 wins Game of the Year at the 2013 Golden Joysticks
BioShock creator Ken Levine honoured, alongside The Last of Us, Call of Duty and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Not content with record breaking sales and rave reviews, Grand Theft Auto V has now won its first game awards, winning Game of the Year at the Golden Joysticks.
The 31-year-old gaming awards (which attracted a record 10 million votes this year) also honoured survival horror title The Last of Us with two awards for Best Storytelling and Best Newcomer. The PS3 title was one of the biggest launches of the year, and was critically lauded for its ambitious narrative and characterization.
BioShock creator Ken Levine was also put in the spotlight, picking up the first-ever Lifetime Achievement award. Levine, who is known for his work on legendary titles such as Thief: The Dark Project and System Shock 2, led the team behind 2007 title BioShock; the highest rated first-person shooter game of all time (tied with Valve’s Half Life 2).
“The great thing about the still-maturing nature of video games is you get to be inspired by the work of novices and veterans alike,” said Levine “We're all figuring out day by day exactly what the medium is capable of.”
Other games honoured at the event included the forthcoming title, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt which beat out both the PS4 and the Xbox One to become this year’s ‘Most Wanted’; whilst the Call of Duty franchise was entered into the gaming Hall of Fame.
See below for a full list of winners from the event:
- Best Newcomer - The Last of Us
- Most Wanted - Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Best Indie Game - Mark of the Ninja
- Best Visual Design - BioShock Infinite
- Best Multiplayer - Payday 2
- Best Gaming Moment - Far Cry 3 - The Definition of Insanity
- Studio of the Year - Naughty Dog
- Innovation of the Year - Oculus Rift
- Best Storytelling - The Last of Us
- Best Online Game - World of Tanks
- Best Handheld Game - Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
- YouTube Gamer Award - Yogscast
- Best Gaming Platform - Steam
- Best Mobile/Tablet Game of the Year - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- Game of the Year - Grand Theft Auto V
- Hall of Fame - Activision: Call of Duty
- Lifetime Achievement - Ken Levine