Monday 23 October 2017

'You don't know what these people are going to do' - Dáithí Ó Sé calls for beefed up security at Rose of Tralee

Sean O'Grady

TV presenter Dáithí Ó Sé has revealed he hopes Rose Of Tralee organisers beef up security at this year's festival after a man disrupted the 2016 event.

Fathers4Justice founder Matt O'Connor stormed the stage during last year's broadcast and was thrown to the ground by four security men and taken away.

Dáithísaid the incident made him think how dangerous it could have been if someone with a weapon had made it to the stage.

"There was certainly concern after it. Someone said, 'he could have had a gun or a knife'.

"There was different [terrorist] events happening around the same time, people going into shopping malls in America," he told the Herald.

"You don't know what these people are going to do. I imagine security will be beefed up this year. I hope it will."

Daithi O Shea looks on as a Fathers4Justice protester storms the stage during the Rose of Tralee. Photo: Frank Mc Grath
Daithi O Shea looks on as a Fathers4Justice protester storms the stage during the Rose of Tralee. Photo: Frank Mc Grath

A Rose Of Tralee spokesperson said every precaution will be taken at this year's show to try and ensure that a similar incident does not take place.

"That person had a ticket. In that area there is a lot of moving of seats because if someone is being talked about on stage, we need to move people to certain seats so they are in shot for the cameras.

"He moved up at the same time and the person who would normally be at the stage wasn't at their post but that was rectified the following night," he said.

"We will be more vigilant to potential stage invasions this year.

"It was a one-off and it's highly unlikely [that it will happen again]," the spokesperson added.

Online Editors

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment