Friday 20 April 2018

Ant McPartlin interviewed by police as Saturday Night Takeaway future revealed

The star was involved in a car collision on Sunday.

Ant McPartlin
Ant McPartlin

By Lucy Mapstone, Press Association Deputy Entertainment Editor

Ant McPartlin was interviewed by police on the same day it was revealed his TV presenting partner Declan Donnelly will host their programme Saturday Night Takeaway without him.

The 42-year-old star, who was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving at the weekend, was pictured outside Kingston police station on Wednesday.

A police spokesman said: “A 42-year-old man attended a west London police station today and was interviewed under caution.

“He’s been further released under investigation.”

McPartlin was involved in a collision with two other cars while he was driving his Mini in Richmond, west London, on Sunday and was arrested after failing a roadside breathalyser test.

ipanews_696caf3b-e559-47b7-a224-a3025fb7314f_embedded472318
Ant McPartlin

His visit to the police station came as it was confirmed Donnelly will be presenting the rest of the current series of their variety show Saturday Night Takeaway when it returns on March 31.

McPartlin has taken a step back from his TV commitments and will return to rehab.

An ITV spokesman said: “We can confirm that Saturday Night Takeaway, presented by Declan Donnelly, will return to ITV on March 31, and the series finale will be taking place at Universal Orlando Resort in Florida a week later.”

The variety programme, hosted by McPartlin and Donnelly as TV duo Ant and Dec, was previously confirmed to not be airing this coming Saturday. ITV has changed the schedule and pulled forward an episode of The Voice UK to fill the slot.

Donnelly wrote in a statement on the duo’s official Twitter page: “Whilst I never thought I’d be in this position, after much discussion and careful consideration we’ve decided that the remaining two shows of this series of Saturday Night Takeaway will go ahead.”

Referring to the winners who are flown out to Florida for the final episode of the series, he added: “We made a promise to take hundreds of deserving winners to Florida to watch the series finale, and we will honour that.

“Everyone at ITV and the Takeaway team feels we owe it to the audience to complete the series.”

On Monday, it was confirmed that McPartlin is taking a leave of absence from his TV work and will go back to rehab, after first being treated last year due to an addiction to painkillers following a knee operation in 2015.

McPartlin’s publicist said in a statement: “Ant has decided to go back into treatment and step down from his current TV commitments.

“He has spoken with Dec and ITV today and asked for time off for the foreseeable future. As such, Saturday Night Takeaway will not be going ahead this Saturday.”

And ITV spokesman said on Monday they were “reviewing options” for the remaining two episodes of the series, which will now air as scheduled but without McPartlin.

ipanews_696caf3b-e559-47b7-a224-a3025fb7314f_embedded235597297
Ant McPartlin arrest

Following his arrest on Sunday, McPartlin was questioned at a south London police station and later “released under investigation”, a Metropolitan Police spokeswoman said.

Police previously confirmed that a number of individuals were treated at the scene for minor injuries, and a child passenger from one of the cars was taken to hospital to be checked as a precaution.

It marked the latest in a string of personal setbacks for the star, whose admission to rehab last year was followed, several months later, by the announcement that his marriage of 11 years to his wife Lisa had ended.

Press Association

Entertainment Newsletter

Going out? Staying in? From great gigs to film reviews and listings, entertainment has you covered.

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment