Thursday 24 May 2018

More jobs lost following Carillion collapse, taking total to more than 2,300

A further 129 workers have transferred to other employers. Photo: PA
A further 129 workers have transferred to other employers. Photo: PA

Alan Jones

More jobs have been lost following the collapse of engineering giant Carillion, taking the total to more than 2,300.

The Official Receiver also announced that a further 129 workers have transferred to other employers.

A total of 2,301 jobs have been lost following another nine this week, while 11,618 have been saved and 1,103 workers have left the business after finding new work or taking retirement.

Just over 3,000 Carillion employees have been retained to work on public and private sector contracts.

Meanwhile, a study found that half of subcontractors in the construction industry are wary of working with main contractors as a result of the Carillion crisis.

Bibby Financial Services said there had been a shift in attitudes following Carillion's liquidation in January.

Kash Ahmad, of Bibby Financial Services, said: "It is clear that January's news has sent repercussions throughout the sector and subcontractors working within the supply chain of large main contractors have serious concerns about others suffering a similar fate.

"It's now vital that both public and private sector organisations work together to support the sector's small and medium-sized enterprises at this pivotal time."

Press Association

Business Newsletter

Read the leading stories from the world of Business.

Also in Business