STAFF at Rupert Murdoch's News International were bracing themselves for more layoffs yesterday after the company announced plans to cut more than 100 jobs.
In a memo to staff at the company, which controls the 'Sunday Times', the 'Times' and 'The Sun', chief executive Tom Mockridge said the group would look to remove 110 positions from its 3,000-strong workforce.
It will also review the use of freelance staff and will streamline the editorial process across its business.
It is not known what effect the changes will have on the group's Irish operations.
Last year, the Irish arm of the 'Sunday Times' was forced to lay off four of its 31-strong staff.
Mr Mockridge, who replaced Rebekah Brooks after she resigned in the wake of the 'News of the World' phone-hacking scandal, which saw the closure of that paper, also confirmed that almost half of the former 'NoTW' staff had opted to take redundancy rather than be settled elsewhere in the company.
In tandem with the cuts, the group was expanding its digital operation, he added.
"Our industry is changing rapidly and like other media organisations we must continually evolve how we work," he said.
The announcement was condemned by the National Union of Journalists.
"Rupert Murdoch received a £12.5m (€14.2m) bonus from News Corp for the last financial year and it is a disgrace he is going to make staff redundant," said Barry Fitzpatrick, head of publishing.
"The money was generated by hard-working employees who have remained loyal during the present crisis. The announcement is a kick in the teeth and the money should be spent on investment and jobs rather than rewarding executives at the top." (Additional reporting PA)