Up a cow, in a cake and off the Titanic: The most bizarre mobile phone insurance claims
CARELESS members of the public have broken their mobile phones by baking them in a cake, inserting them into a cow and dropping them over the edge of a ship while recreating scenes from Titanic, it has emerged.
Research into unusual insurance claims made by mobile phone owners has revealed the most bizarre and outlandish accidents befalling Britain’s technology.
One farmer claims to have damaged his iPhone while calving, accidentally inserting it into the rear of a cow while attempting to use it as a torch.
A woman, in her early 40s from Nottingham, admitted she had absentmindedly baked her Nokia 6303i into a Victoria Sponge intended for her daughter’s birthday. It did not endure the heat of gas mark 5, she reported.
Another woman is said to have lost her Samsung Galaxy after it was snatched from her hand by a rogue seagull while out walking on Barry Island beach, Wales.
In another unique claim, a couple lost their handset while re-enacting a scene from Titanic, dropping it over the side of a cruise ship as they attempted to take a photo of themselves.
While their carelessness could perhaps be excused, the romantic haze did not extend to Liverpool.
A woman in her 20s reported breaking her HTC Desire X phone by throwing it at her cheating boyfriend and hitting a wall instead.
Other customers reported more vulgar accidents, with one young lady claiming for a broken vibrating function on her Blackberry.
Farming was not the only professional hazard noted by insurance website mobileinsurance.co.uk while compiling the research.
A pyrotechnician, apparently rather lax about the safety of his possessions, claimed his iPhone 3GS was fired 3,000ft into the air after being left in the “blast zone” during a display of fireworks in Plymouth.
A different man, aged in his 30s, put in a claim for theft at the hands of scurrilous monkeys, saying privacy-loving primates at Longleat Safari Park snatched his HTC One X when he tried to film them.
One penny-pincher, who attempted to avoid paying for a £60 concert ticket to see Blur in Hyde Park, broke his iPhone after climbing a tree and dropping it to the ground.
A 40-year-old construction worker reported his phone had been subjected to serious water damage after it fell from his jeans’ pocket into the lavatory.
More than 60 different mobile phone owners claimed to have broken their handset while walking along texting and crashing into something.
A spokeswoman for www.MobileInsurance.co.uk said each claim had been fully and rigorously investigated.
Seven of the customers were successful in their applications, while the pyrotechnician, the tree-climbing Blur fan and the young lady alluding to using a phone as an adult toy had their claims rejected.
John Lamerton, managing director added: “I must say, we tend to see a lot of weird and wonderful claims coming in from customers, but these 10 had to be the most bizarre.
“Mobile phones are only going up in price now, so it pays to have them insured for as many scenarios as possible.
“Judging by these claims, you really never know what you might need to claim for. My advice would be to just use the phone as a phone.”
Top ten claims:
1. A farmer in Devon claimed his phone had disappeared inside the back end of one of his cows when he’d been using the torch on his iPhone whilst assisting the cow during calving. The phone later made an appearance, but was damaged.
2. A lady in her early 40s from Nottingham claimed that she’d baked her Nokia 6303i into a Victoria Sponge she’d been making for her daughter’s birthday. It didn’t endure the heat of gas mark 5.
3. A lady in her 30s claimed she’d been walking her Cocker Spaniel on Barry Island beach, Wales, when a seagull swooped down and took her Samsung Galaxy from her hand.
4. A woman in her late 20s from Bristol claimed the vibration function on her BlackBerry Bold 9900 phone had stopped working whilst she was using it as an adult toy.
5. A 40 year old construction worker said his iPhone 4S had fallen out of his back pocket when he pulled his jeans down before sitting on the toilet. Not realising, he went about his business and flushed the chain. The phone didn’t flush, but underwent serious water damage.
6. A man in his 30s claimed he’d been filming monkeys from the car window in Longleat Safari Park with his HTC One X when a monkey climbed on the roof and snatched it.
7. A couple re-enacting the "I'm King of the World!" scene from Titanic lost their phone over the side of their cruise ship, whilst trying to take a photo of themselves.
8. A pyrotechnician was setting up a show for the National Fireworks Championships in Plymouth, and having left his iPhone 3GS within the "blast zone", it was nowhere to be found when he returned post-show, having been fired 3,000 feet into the air before exploding in a stunning display.
9. A lady in her 20s from Liverpool admitted she’d thrown her HTC Desire X at her boyfriend, whom she’d discovered was cheating, but it missed him and hit a wall; breaking the handset.
10. Rather than paying £60 for a ticket to see Blur at their sell-out Hyde Park shows, one customer tried to film the event on his iPhone from up a nearby tree - he got a little
By Hannah Furness Telegraph.co.uk