TechSpace launches Creative Tech Festival in Lighthouse Cinema
TechSpace, a non-profit consortium which develops digital creativity in young people, is launching a Creative Tech Festival, the first of what will be an annual event to showcase the work of young people in TechSpaces nationally.
Independent.ie are media sponsors to the event which is hosted in Lighthouse Cinema on November 1st, and where Lord David Puttnam will be special guest alongside several national and international thought leaders in the use of technology in education.
TechSpace, hosted by the social enterprise Camara Ireland, is developing a national network of digital media ‘TechSpaces’ within youth services and schools, converting young people from being passive users into active creators of digital content.
Activities in a TechSpace site include film and music production, coding and mobile app development, graphic design, game design and robotics.
Supported by trained educators and adult mentoring, the young people build confidence, skills and social mobility to help succeed in their lives and future careers.
The consortium launched its services in Nov 2012 following 18 months of planning and piloting. By end 2013 they will have trained over 100 educators, facilitating over 2000 young people in over 60 TechSpaces nationwide, primarily focused on less privileged sectors of society.
• Inspire young people to use their native interest in technology to become digital creators, rather than just consumers of technology
• Train & support educators to confidently identify and adopt technologies within their pedagogy & learning programmes
• Create learning communities of educators, young people, mentors & volunteers
The TechSpace Program:
• Training & certification of educators in how to run digital youth projects using industry standard creative media tools. This is both process and technology based training
• Provision of free software, subsidised laptops and an online learning & support community
• Setting up & support of creative learning & digital media facilities (TechSpaces) within schools and youth services organisations
For more information please contact:
Phone: +353 (1) 6857120