SAMSUNG has played down reports that its Galaxy S III mobile handset will launch in April.
The new Samsung handset will supersede the Galaxy S II, which is widely seen as the top Android smartphone. ZDNet Korea claimed to have confirmed the April launch with Samsung's advertising agency.
Samsung told gadget blog The Verge: "The successor to the Galaxy S II smartphone will be unveiled in the first half of the year, closer to commercial availability of the product. We cannot confirm the detailed information at the moment."
That doesn't mean the S III won't launch in April but the company is clearly keen to manage expectations. Samsung has a media event planned for March 22 in Paris.
Features for the Galaxy S III have not been officially released but the technology blog Boy Genius Report claimed it would feature a 1.5ghz quad-core processor, a 4.8-inch 1080p resolution display, 2GB RAM, a 2-megapixel front-facing camera and an 8-megapixel rear camera. BGR said the handset would run Android 4.0.
The gadget blog also said that its own sources were predicting an April launch for the new smartphone.
Samsung has supported the Galaxy S II with a marketing campaign that pokes fun at Apple fans. A queue of people waiting for the launch of a new phone of envious of what passers-by are able to do with their Samsung handsets.
It was originally thought that Samsung would unveil the S III at last week's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona but the Korean firm put out a statement shortly before the event saying "the successor to the Galaxy SII smartphone will be unveiled at a separate Samsung-hosted event in the first half of the year, closer to commercial availability of the product".
Samsung did announce several new products last week though, including the Beam smartphone, which incorporates a projector, and a new version of the Galaxy Note, the tablet-sized Galaxy Note 10.1.