Wednesday 26 September 2018

Planning permission for more than 900 homes shot down amid flooding fear

Stock picture
Stock picture
Paul Melia

Paul Melia

Planning permission for more than 900 new homes under a fast-track approvals process have been refused by An Bord Pleanála.

Viscount Securities sought a 10-year permission to build 927 homes at a 20-hectare site at Clay Farm, Ballyogan Road, Dublin, to include 365 houses and 562 apartments.

Some 53 submissions were made on the plan, with concerns raised about the scale of the development, traffic impact and flooding.

In its decision, the board said it was "not satisfied" that the developer had provided adequate information around how it would manage storm waters in an area at risk of flooding.

Meanwhile, more than 70pc of new social housing units provided last year were sourced from the private sector, official figures reveal.

Statistics from the Department of Housing show that last year, some 25,892 people had their housing needs met through a combination of new build and leased units, which was 23pc above target, Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy said.

The figures show that local authorities and approved housing bodies failed to meet their targets on building new homes, with 2,245 units provided, 8pc below target.

Mr Murphy insisted delivery would ramp-up over the coming years, and reliance on the private sector would fall.

Irish Independent

Business Newsletter

Read the leading stories from the world of Business.

Also in Business