| 19.6°C Dublin

Panel I


Claim for tax credits, allowances, reliefs and health expenses, Pages 24 to 28, Lines 515 to 544

There are 19 tax credits, allowances and reliefs in this section, and below are summaries of the most common reliefs that you may be able to claim.

The rent credit was removed from the Form 11 for 2018, as it is no longer possible to claim a relief for rents paid post-2017.

Home Carer Tax Credit, Line 515

The home carer tax credit may be due to you if you are jointly assessed, and you or your spouse or civil partner, as a home carer, provided care for:

• A child for whom you are entitled to social welfare child benefit;

• A person who is permanently incapacitated by reason of mental or physical infirmity, and such person normally resides with you for the year; or

• A person aged 65 or over.

It is important to note that a spouse or civil partner cannot be one of the people cared for under this relief.

The home carer tax credit is €1,200 (for 2018), subject to the home carer's income, if any, remaining below a threshold of €7,200.

Where the income exceeds this threshold, the tax credit is reduced by one half of the amount of home carer's income that exceeds €7,200. Accordingly, no credit is due if income exceeds €9,600.

Employee Tax Credit, Line 516

If you are in receipt of income subject to PAYE (i.e. wages, salary and occupational pension), you may claim an employee tax credit of up to €1,650.

You may also be entitled to claim it if you are a recipient of social welfare payments, widow, widower's or surviving civil partners (contributory) pension, guardian's payment (contributory), state pension (transition), state pension (contributory), illness benefit, occupational injury benefit, and jobseekers benefit. If you are a proprietary director (i.e. you own 15pc or more of a company), you are not entitled to this credit.

Earned Income Tax Credit, Line 517

The earned income tax credit can be claimed if you are a self-employed individual or proprietary director who is ineligible for the employee tax credit. The maximum relief is €1,150 for 2018.

Where an individual has income that qualifies for the earned income tax credit and the employee tax credit, the combined tax credits cannot exceed €1,650.

TUition Fees, Line 523

If you are paying tuition fees for a student, you may be entitled to tax relief at 20pc.

Here is what qualifies for the relief:

• Tuition fees paid to approved colleges for the 2018 academic year commencing on or after August 1, 2018, in respect of approved undergraduate courses of at least two years' duration. The maximum limit for relief in respect of qualifying fees for the academic year 2018 is €7,000, in respect of each course;

• Tuition fees paid for certain training courses in the areas of information technology and foreign languages. The relief applies to fees ranging from €315 to €1,270 per student;

• Tuition fees paid in respect of certain postgraduate courses, subject to a maximum relief of €7,000 per course.

The first €3,000 of each claim is disregarded for relief for a full-time student and the first €1,500 for a part-time student.

Lists of approved courses at approved colleges are available at revenue.ie.

The relief is not available in respect of exam fees, administration fees, registration fees, etc.

You should note that if you subsequently get some of your fees refunded, you need to notify Revenue within 21 days of receiving the refund. If this is not done, a €3,000 penalty will apply.

Employer-paid Medical Insurance, Line 526

If your employer paid medical insurance (including dental insurance) premiums on your behalf (or on behalf of your dependants), you will have been subject to payroll taxes on this benefit in kind. You are entitled to claim a relief for 20pc of the gross premium on your 2018 tax return.

There is a limit of €1,000 on the premium that can be claimed by individuals who are 21 years or over. The limit is €500 on the premium that can be claimed for child dependants.

Home Renovation Incentive (HRI), Line 528

If you undertook renovation work on your home during 2018, you may be entitled to a tax credit under the Home Renovation Incentive (HRI) scheme.

The HRI enables homeowners or landlords to claim tax relief on repairs, renovations or improvement work that is carried out on their main home or rental property by tax-compliant contractors, and that is subject to 13.5pc VAT.

You should complete the details of the tax credit due, which you will find on the HRI online claim you will have previously submitted to the Revenue Commissioners, at line 528.

The HRI is paid in the form of a tax credit at 13.5pc of qualifying expenditure, which can be set against your income tax over two years if you are a self-assessed taxpayer. If you are a homeowner or a landlord, you must be up to date with your obligations under the local property tax.

The qualifying work must cost at least €4,405 before VAT at 13.5pc, which comes to a total of €5,000 with VAT included.

You will only get the tax credit in relation to a maximum of €30,000 (before VAT) during the period covered by the HRI.

The minimum credit is €595, based on the minimum qualifying expenditure of €4,405.

The maximum is €4,050, based on the maximum qualifying expenditure of €30,000.

Health Expenses, Lines 534 to 544

If you have incurred medical expenses during the year, you may be able to claim a tax credit of 20pc of the expenses.

You do not need to submit a Form Med 1 with the return.

Just retain it, in case the Revenue Commissioners ask you for it at a later date.

Also, you do not need to send in the receipts to the Revenue Commissioners with your claim.

However, you must keep the receipts for six years, in case the Revenue Commissioners select your return for examination.

Readers need to be careful not to claim medical expenses which have been fully reimbursed by their medical insurance provider.

Also, routine dental expenses, such as fillings and standard extraction expenses, do not qualify for relief. Root canal treatment and crowns are considered non-routine.

The expenses relating to elective cosmetic surgery are also not allowed.

If you maintain an individual on a full-time basis in a nursing home, you can also claim relief for the health expenses for that individual.

Sunday Indo Business