Saturday 21 April 2018

Know your British state pension rights

Louise McBride

Many of the Irish emigrants who returned to Ireland after living and working in Britain for a few years are entitled to a British state pension.

So too are a lot of the 112,000 British people who settled in Ireland after previously working in Britain.

The British Department for Work and Pensions usually sends claim forms to those who are entitled to a British state pension about four months before they reach the state retirement age in Britain.

Those who have returned or moved to Ireland after working in Britain for some time should inform the department's International Pension Centre (IPC) of their new address – otherwise, the claim form is unlikely to get to them.

The IPC can be contacted at 0044 191 2187777.

The number of years that national insurance was paid for will determine the size of the British pension that one is entitled to.

To get a statement outlining the size of the pension that you are eligible for, call the Future Pension service on 0044 191 2183600 up to 30 days before you reach the state pension age.

If you are already of pension age – or less than 30 days away from it – you need to contact the Pension Service in Britain.

Sunday Indo Business

Business Newsletter

Read the leading stories from the world of Business.

Also in Business