Watch: A bit of Dublin history disappears in sixty seconds
Demolition work has been completed at the historic Boland’s Mill site – now Boland’s Quay, in Dublin.
During the process, large concrete silos, built during the 1950s, were demolished.
But the actual site contains protected structures which will be retained and converted for a mix of residential and commercial use.
The site was seized by members of the 3rd Battalion of the Irish Volunteers during the 1916 Rising.
Main works on the site are due to start in September and the project is set to be completed in 2018.
The new Boland’s Quay will provide three new landmark buildings comprising approximately 36,851 sq. m (approx. 397,000 sq ft) of office, residential, retail and cultural space. The development will also involve the restoration of a number of protected mill buildings and the creation of a new civic plaza looking onto the waterfront at Grand Canal Dock. A new pedestrian bridge will link the plaza to Ringsend Road.
On completion, Boland’s Quay will accommodate up to 2,500 workers.
Planning permission for the new development was submitted through Dublin City Council’s fast track SDZ planning scheme in December 2014 and permission was granted in July 2015.
The Boland’s Quay Development Group (BQDG) is a collaboration of property consultants Savills Ireland and Cleary McCabe & Associates.
The demolition work was completed by Hegarty.