Trump withdraws golf plan in Co Clare
Donald Trump has vowed to "better protect" his luxurious golf club in Doonbeg, Co Clare, after he withdrew a planning application to install anti-erosion measures at the resort.
The application, lodged last May, proposed to overcome erosion at the coastal five-star resort by altering sand dunes, planting marram grass, introducing sand trap fencing and repairing the golf course.
However, the application was met with concern by the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, which questioned whether the works would affect the integrity of the Carrowmore Dunes and mid-Clare coast, both of which are designated as special areas of conservation.
Last night, Mr Trump's spokesman, George A Sorial, told the Irish Independent that the application had been withdrawn on Friday with the intention of submitting a more thorough version.
"After carefully studying the coastline, we intend on submitting a more comprehensive plan that will better protect the site and ensure that Trump International Doonbeg remains the premier golf destination in Ireland," he said.
"We expect to lodge the application shortly," he added.
However, Mr Sorial declined to discuss further details of the re-worked plan. He said this was "out of respect for the planning process".
But sources close to Trump revealed the updated application was due to be submitted to Clare County Council within the next four weeks.
The billionaire New Yorker paid €8.7m for the resort in February 2014, which he renamed Trump International Golf Links & Hotel, Ireland. After signing the landmark deal, Trump pledged the course would "soon be an unparalleled resort destination with the highest standards of luxury".