Some of the key guidelines
* Public sector buyers must carry out market analysis before putting work out to tender in order to better understand the range of goods and services on offer.
* Buyers should consider breaking big contracts into smaller jobs to make it easier for SMEs.
* Buyers should encourage businesses to form consortia if they are too small to bid for work in their own right.
* Buyers should use open tendering for contract projects worth less than €134,000.
* Buyers should ensure that any capacity levels set for candidates/tenderers are proportionate to the circumstances of a contract.
* Breaking framework agreements into lots can be an effective way of opening up opportunities to SMEs.
* Buyers continue to be required to advertise contracts for services with an estimated value of €25,000 and upwards.