Ryanair to proceed with base closure
Ryanair has said it is sticking with plans to shut a base for pilots in the Netherlands, despite a Dutch court ruling that criticised the move.
Ryanair said last month it would shut its base in Eindhoven on November 5, moving 16 pilots who operate flights from the southern Dutch airport to locations abroad in order to cut costs.
Pilots took a legal action challenging the plan to relocate them.
The district court in Hertogenbosch said Ryanair had failed to explain why the move was necessary and said the decision seemed to be retaliation for the European-wide strikes Dutch pilots had joined in recent months.
However, the airline said the ruling would not prevent the base closure from going ahead.
"All pilots and cabin crew have already been offered base transfers, which protects their seniority and earnings, but if any crew members wish to choose redundancies over base transfers then we will respect that choice," the airline said.
Meanwhile, ministers from Germany, Italy and The Netherlands have sent a letter to the Irish airline claiming it should operate to local labour rules and agreements in countries where it operates.
"After such an agreement has been made, further social dialogue will of course be necessary," a letter signed by Germany's labour minister Hubertus Heil, Italy's Luigi Di Maio and Dutch social affairs minister Wouter Koolmees.
Ryanair said it complies fully with all European Union employment law.
Additional reporting Reuters