Proposals to 'save billions' back on table
UNIONS insist that transformational proposals on offer before Christmas could still "save billions". They are now back on the table and include:
- Agreement on the re-deployment of civil and public servants within and between organisations.
- An extended 8am-8pm working day in the health service, leading to longer opening hours.
- The introduction of new rosters in health, leading to more flexible services and a reduced overtime budget.
- Reductions in the number of in-patient beds and increases in day care, outpatient and diagnostic services, providing faster access to services at lower cost.
- A greater range of community services so more patients can receive treatment at home.
- The introduction of shared services in health, local authorities, education and the civil service, in areas like finance, procurement, human resources and payroll.