Business Irish

Sunday 18 February 2018

Athy triathlon will go ahead despite company being struck off - director

Minister Leo Varadkar during the 20km bike leg at the triAthy triathlon.
Minister Leo Varadkar during the 20km bike leg at the triAthy triathlon.
Gavin McLoughlin

Gavin McLoughlin

The 'TriAthy' triathlon will go ahead this year despite the company behind the event being struck off by the Companies Registration Office, one of the company's directors told the Irish Independent.

Arthur Lynch declined to comment on the reasons for the strike off and whether the company could be reinstated, but said the ninth edition of the event will definitely take place.

The first race took place in 2007 and previous competitors have included Health Minister Leo Varadkar, pictured, and former Formula One world champion Jenson Button.

This year's event is scheduled to take place on May 30. There have been 748 entries so far, according to the event's website.

Around 2,000 people took part last year.

The event - which has provided a significant boost to the local economy in recent years - offers sports enthusiasts the chance to take part in many different races.

This year, entering the Double Olympic Triathlon - which consists of a 3-kilometre swim, an 80-kilometre cycle and a 20-kilometre run - costs €89.50 for individuals.

Entering the Olympic Triathlon as an individual costs €58.50.

Indo Business

Promoted Links

Business Newsletter

Read the leading stories from the world of Business.

Promoted Links

Also in Business