West Cork castle that is just 'dripping' with potential
One would be forgiven for believing that all the big houses and the seats of the old Gaelic chieftains were wiped away in our turbulent past.
However, some of these old houses remain and among them is Dripsey Castle in West Cork, once home of Cormac McTeigue MacCarthy, the 9th Lord of Muskerry who also built Blarney and Kilcrea Castles.
The house and estate on 110ac of grass and tillage is one of the larger estates on the market at the moment and is for sale by private treaty with a guide price of €2m.
Described by Charles Erwin of selling agents Ganly Walters as a magnificent Georgian Estate, the property is located 23km from Cork, 3.3km northeast of Coachford and 2.5km northwest of Dripsey.
Dripsey Castle was originally known as Carrignamuck Castle and dates from the 15th century. It was built by Cormac McTeigue MacCarthy and remained in MacCarthy hands until the Cromwellian wars when, in 1650, it was besieged and taken by Cromwell's forces and the land confiscated.
The current owners acquired Dripsey in 1922 and were no strangers to the locality having established the local Dripsey Woollen Mills in 1903.
The Georgian residence dates from 1740 and is a classic example of 18th century architecture. The house has a series of elegant reception rooms that have retained many period features, including ornate cornice work, high ceilings, decorative chimney pieces, sash windows and heavy oak doors and architraves.
A large reception hall leads to a spacious drawing room and dining room; to the rear is the original kitchen and study. There are nine bedrooms and two bathrooms on the first and second floors.