We are putting slurry spreading on hold until the land dries out
We went for a long walk on the farm last Sunday, complete with plate meter and notepad. The plan was to identify the first fields on which we would spread slurry and to see how much grass was around.
It became obvious very quickly that there is quite a bit of grass on the farm and also that land is still very wet.
The few fields that we could actually spread slurry on are just a little bit wet and I could see the tanker doing harm on the headlands.
Luckily enough there is no urgency on us to get slurry out at the moment as there is still plenty of space in the tanks.
When we did the calculations, a lot of our fields had covers from 700-1,200 kg/ha, which are far too high to apply slurry.
But I would assume that the dry matter of this grass is in the region of 10pc so we certainly need some dry weather before we would think of venturing out to graze any of that grass.
What we did one time before in a similar situation and we will probably do the same again this year, weather permitting, is to turn out the cows with the strongest bull calves by day and leave them back in by night. But I can't see that happening for a while yet.
As soon as we do graze out a field, we will spread slurry on it. We would plan to get as much of our slurry out as possible in the spring. So I think, at this stage, with what grass is around and when soil conditions allow, we will probably blanket spread compound fertiliser first.