Try these simple training exercises to improve stamina and performance
Core muscle exercise
- Lie on your back with your knees bent;
- Your lower back should be neither arched up nor flattened against the floor, but aligned in between a 'neutral' position;
- Breathe in deeply and relax all your stomach muscles;
- Breathe out and, as you do so, draw your lower abdomen inwards as if your belly button is going back towards the floor. Pilates teachers describe this as 'zipping up', as if you are fastening up a tight pair of jeans;
- Hold the contraction for 10 seconds and stay relaxed, allowing yourself to breathe in and out as you hold the tension in your lower stomach area;
- Repeat 5-10 times.
Single leg squat
- The single leg squat is one of several exercises that are designed to develop a rider's strength;
- Press-ups, pull-ups (45°), the full plank, side plank and static squats are other strength exercises.Table top exercise
- This helps you learn to keep your centre stabilised while moving the limbs, maintaining neutral and keeping length in the trunk;
- Start position -- Kneel on all fours, pelvis in neutral. Breathe in wide and full to prepare, lengthen your spine;
- Breathe out, zip up and hollow and lift leg no higher than hip height while simultaneously lifting and lengthening the opposite arm to shoulder height;
- Do not overreach, keep shoulder blades down and pelvis square to the floor;
- Breathe in and lower the arm and legs. Repeat on the opposite side.