Superlevy worries abating and co-op AGM worth a visit
The 12th day of every month is always eagerly awaited by Town of Monaghan suppliers as this is pay-day. The June cheque is the last big one for the year as they are getting smaller from here on. At our board meeting last week we got a 1c increase to 34c including VAT. The chief executive also reckoned that the milk price has peaked. It is interesting how butter markets are doing so well now and were so poor not long ago.
The latest KPMG report was discussed but, unfortunately, there was nothing revolutionary in it. I am disappointed with the endless number of reports that have been done on the dairy industry, paid for by us dairy farmers and are sitting on shelves collecting dust. Our co-op AGM is next Monday night and it deserves attendance by all dairy farmers who are planning for the future.
The cold and wet month of June certainly has reduced the worry of the superlevy for me. I saw milk volumes rise and fall nearly every day in June. I applied for temporary leasing and got 3,595 litres. It doesn't seem much now but it could mean a lot in the last week of March next year. Present figures are 24 litres/cow at 3.69pc butterfat and 3.35pc protein, giving 1.73kg MS/cow/day. SCC is 174,000 and TBC is 5,000. Grass quality is medium to good.
I didn't start topping paddocks until June 20. It has left more stem in paddocks but with grass growth in June as low as 45kg/ha/day, topping would have reduced recovery even more. Pasture sward costing €385/t has been spread since June 20 at 23 units/ac.
Following on from our last discussion group meeting, many of us saw colouring of grass leaves, which suggested it needed P and K. We also agreed we should be spreading P and K in late May before the colouring sets in.
An Angus bull is running with the cows at present. I am hoping to finish breeding by the first week of next month.
CAN costing €285/t was spread for second cut at 70 units/ac. Hopefully the second cut will be ready for the last week of this month. The explosion of growth in the past 10 days has helped. Some docks appeared and they were treated with half-rate doxstar.
At our last group meeting, we looked at cash flow. In general, it looks fairly good so far this year which, in turn, will cause a bigger problem -- the tax bill. My own accounts year ended on June 30, so I will be keen to get IFAC to complete the bookwork as soon as possible. There is a fear that tax bills will be higher this year due to better profits and higher taxes so I want to plan ahead for the November bill.