The following items should be at hand when your mare starts to foal:
• Headcollar and lead rope.
• Tail bandage.
• Bottle of iodine tincture.
• Surgical gloves and lubricant.
• Feeding bottle and lamb's teat with holes opened up.
• Plastic jug, mare's milk replacer.
• Soap and towel.
• Dustbin liner or bucket.
• Baler twine.
• Vet's telephone number and mobile number.
Finally, make sure you have easy access to a lorry or trailer to transport your mare in case she has complications and needs to be taken to a veterinary hospital/clinic.