Minimising stress is the priority at this stage of the breeding season
I recently killed a batch of lambs that I was fattening. These were inside for the few weeks up until slaughter and killed out well.
They were all-Mule wether lambs and some Mountain Blackface lambs. They averaged just over 21.6kg deadweight and a few of these lambs graded Us. I still have a few more left that are nearly ready. The lambs killed out better than other batches that didn't get as much concentrates.
It' s encouraging to see the price of lamb increasing and holding well.
I have opened up my first bale of silage for the year for the last of the lambs inside for fattening.
These are on a high level of concentrates and I feed them some silage as a source of roughage even though they aren't eating that much of it. I am happy with the look of the first bale and the lambs are happy with it too. I will get samples taken from several bales for testing soon.
Based on the results, I will decide what type of feed I will need to feed the ewes pre-lambing.
I completed the compulsory GLAS course last week. It was good to go through the detail again to refresh the memory. It was also great to see a farm with fantastic dry stone walls and low input permanent pasture, which are two of the options I have taken for GLAS.
The ewes and rams aren't showing much activity the past few weeks.