Closing date for applications to Teagasc agricultural college courses looms
There is a need for a young educated workforce to meet the future needs of the land sector. That’s according to Tony Pettit, Head of Education in Teagasc, who was announcing Friday, 26 May as the closing date for applications for agriculture college full time courses.
“The farm population is ageing, with more than half of farmers being over 55 years of age and less than 6% under 35 years of age. ‘New blood’ will be vital to sustain a vibrant farming sector particularly for the expanding dairy sector.
"The recovering economy is also opening up opportunities in horticulture with occupations in landscape and design, nursery stock production and retailing, and sports turf management benefitting,” according to Tony Pettit.
Friday, 26 May 2017 is the closing date for agricultural college full-time courses. Interested applicants are advised to submit their application forms in the coming weeks. Application forms can be downloaded directly from www.teagasc.ie or obtained from agricultural colleges.
Teagasc full-time Level 5 Certificate in Agriculture courses are offered at:
- Teagasc Ballyhaise, Co. Cavan
- Teagasc Clonakilty, Co Cork
- Teagasc Kildalton, Co Kilkenny
Teagasc courses are also offered at the three private agricultural colleges:
- Gurteen Agricultural College, Co. Tipperary
- Mountbellew Agricultural College, Co. Galway
- Salesian Agricultural College Pallaskenry, Co Limerick
Full-time Level 5 Horticulture Courses are offered at:
- The Teagasc College of Amenity Horticulture, Botanic Gardens, Dublin 9.
- Teagasc Kildalton Horticulture College, Co Kilkenny.
The application closing date for horticultural courses will extend to August 2017.