Incredible video shows dog's miracle recovery after eating mouldy food
Dog owners are being warned of the dangers dogs can face if they eat mouldy food after a a sheepdog went into fits after eating it.
Gary is a five-year-old working collie is well known for his outstanding farm work. He has worked with sheep all his life and has a great relationship with his handler, Henry.
Gary was rushed into Bichester Veterinary Clinic in June as he had suddenly started seizuring while out in the fields.
After taking Gary's history, it was found that he had eaten some mouldy food approximately three hours previously.
Mould produces mycotoxins which are very poisonous to animals and the vets at Bichester Veterinary Clinic said treatment was started immediately by vet Cliff and the nurses, giving Gary anti seizure drugs in the hope this would stop his fits and relax his body.
Unfortunately these didn't work and it was decided that placing him under general anaesthetic (induced coma) was the only option.
General anaesthetic is used in this way, to calm the brain and muscles in the hope that, once the toxins have passed, the body can recover.
If seizures carry on for too long, the brain can be affected and lasting brain damage is a real possibility. This was a big worry with Gary.