Great potential in castellated Georgian country home situated in fertile fields
Despite the ongoing recession, it appears the market in period country homes is steady. Some anecdotal evidence would suggest returning emigrants who left at the beginning of the downturn are coming back with modest fortunes to buy their country pile on the auld sod.
Tobertynan House at Rathmolyon, an impressive Georgian country home on 29.45 ac in the heart of Co Meath, might attract one of these modestly-heeled returnees. It comes to market with a guide price of €375,000.
The property is located 5km from Rathmolyon, 6km from Longwood, 9km from Trim and 10 minutes from the M4 at Enfield.
In snapshot, Tobertynan is a castellated house of two storeys over basement and three bays with battlements. The accommodation on the property includes an entrance hall, and inner hall, a drawing room, study, dining room, breakfast room, kitchen, utility, cloakroom, seven bedrooms and a bathroom. The basement is home to old kitchens, a wine cellar, boiler room and eight further rooms.
According to Celia Lamb, of selling agents Ganly Walters, there was a house on this site as early as 1750. The house in its present incarnation dates from around 1800, when it was fully renovated with the battlements and corner turrets added by Francis MacEvoy, a distinguished surgeon and one of the founders of the College of Surgeons on Dublin.
The property later passed to his brother James, the father-in-law of Sir Bernard Burke, Ulster King of Arms and editor of the Burke series of genealogical publications. The house and lands then passed to the De Stacpoole family, with the marriage of Pauline MacEvoy to the 4th Duke de Stacpoole.
As a result of the castellation there are four magnificent cylindrical corner turrets and a three-storey battlement added to one side of the house.
The residence and yards are reached by a long tree-lined avenue to a gravelled forecourt to the front of the house. Granite steps lead up to the front door which is decorated with an original Georgian fanlight.