Farm Ireland

Tuesday 20 February 2018

Local strikes late in Kildare

Jim O'Brien

Jim O'Brien

An offer of €1.3m failed to land a 126ac farm near Kilcock, Co Kildare recently, but a local farmer pounced after the auction to secure the purchase for a price in excess of €10,400/ac.

There was a full house at the Glenroyal Hotel, Maynooth, for the sale of the farm at Ovidstown, Kilcock, Co Kildare.

The auction, an executor sale, drew a lot of interest for the farm, which is located on a quiet country road a mile from the small village of Newtown, 11 miles from the university town of Maynooth and close to the new M4 motorway.

The farm includes a large residence built almost 100 years ago, which has five bedrooms and spacious reception rooms.

The land extends to 126ac in total, with more than 100ac in tillage, while the remainder is in grassland. With its free-draining soil, large fields and excellent road frontage, it was always going to be an attractive property for the right buyer.

The farm comprises a good sized yard that includes a double six-bay hay shed with lean-tos, a second hayshed, a series of old stone sheds, a cattle crush, cattle cubicles, a calf house and holding yard.

Auctioneer on the day, Willie Coonan, of Coonan Estates, offered the property in the entire and two lots.

Lot one included the residence and yard on around 86ac. Lot two comprised 40ac of land, while the entire made up lot three.

Also Read

When lot one opened at €500,000, there were three bidders. In increments of €50,000, the price soon reached €600,000 and then, in bids of €20,000, it went to €700,000 at which point it was withdrawn.

Lot two opened at €300,000 and three bidders took it up in €10,000 increments until the price on offer reached €400,000 and this section was then withdrawn. At that stage, the auctioneer put the entire to auction in excess of €1.1m.

Four bidders engaged in bidding on the entire and the auction proceeded at a slower pace as the interested parties made their bids in increments of €20,000 until matters came to a halt at €1.3m. The property was then then withdrawn but it was snapped up soon after by a local land owner.

Irish Independent