Forestry events target windblow
Teagasc, Coillte and the Forest Service are organising two important demonstrations on windblow clearance and forest restoration.
These two forestry events will provide guidance to forest owners whose plantations have suffered windblow damage.
The windblow followed storm force winds on February 12. Early indications suggest between 5,000ha and 7,000ha, mainly concentrated in Munster and south Leinster, were lost.
Issues that will be discussed during both events include:
* Health and Safety issues;
* Harvesting operations including felling licences, harvesting strategy, role of contractors and environmental protection;
* Marketing and sale of windblown timber;
* Restocking including planning and site preparation, protecting against pine weevil, maintenance and costs;
* Insurance and taxation.
* Tuesday, April 8: Meet at the Rising Sun guesthouse, Mullinavat, Co Kilkenny. Venue will be signposted from Exit 11 (New Ross/Mullinavat) off the M9, Dublin-Waterford motorway.
* Wednesday, April 16: Meet at An Riocht Health and Leisure Club, Craggeens, Castleisland, Co Kerry. Meeting point will be signposted in the town.
Arrive between 11am and 12.30pm. The event is free.
For Stories Like This and More
Download the Free Farming Independent App