Pictures: Family home destroyed after trees 'exploded into flames' from gorse fire
A family of five have lost their home after it was burnt when the roof caught fire from embers carried on the wind from local fires.
The house outside Kiltimagh caught fire on Friday evening, when embers from a gorse fire were caught in the wind and landed in the thatch roof of the Brennan family home.
Despite several units of the fire brigade attending the blaze, the fire spiraled out of control.
Bernice Brennan, whose family own and live in the house, told RTE Radio 1 that the wind was changing direction and the course of the fire was altering. She said that she saw a bit of a fire some distance from the house, but then 'trees exploded into flames" and some of the embers lodged in their roof.
The family had a first holy communion on Saturday morning and the local community is rallying around to support them.
The IFA has said that farmers are not doing all the burning (of gorse). Until 2000 burning was legal until April 15, but now they cannot legally burn gorse the end of February. He said this makes it almost impossible for farmers to burn vegetation.
Pat Dunne of the IFA said the vegetation is too green to allow it to burn properly. "You can't burn it when you need to burn it."
He said that the cut off for burning should be the middle of April, which would allow farmers burnt in March. He called on farmers to be vigilant and not to be carrying out illegal burning.