FARMERS who once studied in Warrenstown Agricultural College take note as the property is expected to go under the hammer for between €650,000 and €700,000.
The remaining portion of the property, which previously offered agriculture and horticulture courses under the Salesian order, includes Warrenstown House, a 10,000sq ft period residence, a coachyard, an extensive range of outbuildings, garaging, glasshouses and mature grounds on 72ac of Meath grazing lands bordered by the River Skane, near Drumree.
Auctioneer Thomas Potterton describes the place as a fine estate set around a magnificent period residence. He believes that, along with its agricultural value, the property has huge potential in the area of tourism and leisure.
A farmer paid €13.5m in 2008 for the 450-acre Warrenstown Farm, which was originally part of the college.
The property gained its name from the Warrens of Warrenstown, an old English settler family who landed in Ireland in the 17th century.
Peter Warren, born on the estate in 1703 became an admiral in the Royal Navy and married Suzanne De Lancey the daughter of a wealthy New York merchant whose dowry included the largest estate on Manhattan Island where New York now stands. Sir Peter later acquired a 14,000ac estate of his own in the Mohawk Valley in New York.
Following Sir Peter's sudden death in 1752 Warrenstown was left to his sister and her son John Johnson. Decades later his granddaughters, Annette Leonard and Elizabeth Lynch, inherited the estate.
Warrenstown College as we know it now it owes its origins to the generosity to Ms Lynch who died in Italy in 1917.
She spent much of her later years involved in charitable works and her share of the Warrenstown Estate was to be left to the Sisters of Charity of Foxford, Co Mayo.
The Salesian Order went on to acquire the land and Warrenstown Agricultural College was founded in 1923.
The agricultural and horticultural college enjoyed decades of success before they closed in 2001 and in 2009 respectively.
Soon after the closures the majority of the property was sold.
The portion retained by the Salesians, the house, grounds, courtyards, buildings and 72ac of land are the subject of this sale.
The original house is thought to date back to the early 17th century and was extended in the middle of the 18th and 19th centuries.
In 2001 extensive renovations were carried out, including reroofing.
The out-offices are laid out in a traditional coach-yard style in beautiful cut stone with lofted buildings overlooked by a bell tower.
The facilities include stabling, tack rooms, cattle stalls, a coachman's house and a forge.
The outer yard is a horticulturalist's dream with five large glass houses, mushroom tunnels, workshops and two large machinery sheds and a wide range of ancillary out-offices.
The lands in total extend to 72ac. This includes 25ac of forestry mainly in oak, beech and some Scots pine bringing in an annual premium of around €1,620.
The remaining lands are mainly laid out in one division of permanent pasture and bordered by the River Skane. The land is described as highly fertile Meath land suitable for any farming purpose.
The farm will be sold at public auction at 3pm on Tuesday June 30 at The Property Exchange, Trim, Co Meath.