Cork castle sells for €2m
Dripsey Castle on 110ac in Co Cork sold by private treaty before Christmas for an estimated €2m. The property was bought by an overseas customer in a transaction handled by Ganly Walters and European and Southern Auctioneers, Cork.
Described by Charles Erwin of Ganly Walters as a magnificent Georgian estate, Dripsey Castle is located 23km from Cork, 3.3 km northeast of Coachford village and 2.5 km northwest of Dripsey village.
The place was once the home of Cormac McTeigue MacCarthy the 9th Lord of Muskerry, the man who built Blarney and Kilcrea Castles.
Originally known as Carrignamuck Castle, it remained in MacCarthy hands until 1650, when the stronghold was besieged and taken by Cromwell's forces after which the land was confiscated.
After a number of years the property came into the possession of the Colthurst family who in 1740 erected the present Georgian house on the castle grounds. The current owners bought Dripsey in 1922 and were no strangers to the locality having established the Dripsey Woollen Mills in 1903.
The residence is a classic example of 18th century architecture with a series of fine reception rooms retaining many period features.
A large reception hall leads to a spacious drawing room and dining room while, to the rear, is located the original kitchen and a study.