Farmers left out in plan to halt tyre dumping
Farmers will not be able to avail of €1m of funding that has been allocated to help remove stockpiles of used tyres.
Denis Naughten, Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment, made the announcement that the funding had been allocated last week, stating that the level of illegal dumping of waste types is a problem that needs to be met head on.
However, a spokesperson for his department said that funding announced does not cover farmers who wish to dispose of old tyres. He said farmers with such tyres should have them removed by an authorised waste collector, which they have to pay for.
Conservative estimates from the local authorities suggest there are more than 750,000 tyres dumped around the country.
The funding is being made available to local authorities to tackle the most significant dump sites in their areas.
Mr Naughten said he is also supporting the introduction of a new compliance scheme to ensure that as many old tyres as possible are taken out of the system before the scheme is introduced on October 1.
The new scheme, to be run by Repak ELT, will reassure consumers that their old tyres will be disposed of responsibly by the retailer when they buy new tyres.
All tyre sellers will be obliged to provide data on the numbers of tyres coming on and off the market under the scheme.