Monday 23 July 2018

Wedding venue plans €3.5m expansion

Ballymagarvey is set for redevelopment in 2019
Ballymagarvey is set for redevelopment in 2019

Fearghal O'Connor

Businessman Vincent Callan has received the go-ahead for ambitious €3.5m expansion plans at his Ballymagarvey Village wedding venue. The plans, approved by the planning authority, will see 23 new luxury three bedroom cottages - as well as a number of specially-designed disabled units - built at the Meath venue.

Callan, who bought the then dilapidated property in 2003, previously restored the 18th century battlemented house, adding luxury accommodation. The flaxmill village on the estate, which includes seven restored cottages, also dates to the 1700s, as part of a transformation into a unique five-star venue for weddings and other events.

The venue, which has a documented history dating back 800 years to Trim Castle's Hugh DeLacy, opened for business in 2009 and now employs more than 100 people. It hosts about 300 events a year with about a third of those coming from abroad, Callan told this newspaper.

Building work at Ballymagarvey will not kick off until 2019 because the venue is heavily booked throughout 2018, he said.

Recently published accounts showed a loss of just over €50,000 for last year but noted that capital investment in the property is continuing and that there was growth year-on-year in the number of profitable events.

The Meath businessman has previously developed a McDonald's restaurant on a central site in nearby Drogheda and also owns a large service station and retail outlet on the N4 in Lucan.

As well as the planned extra accommodation, the new development will also include the addition of a "Dungeon Bar" and terrace within the house itself, as well as a new bridal gift room.

Sunday Independent

Business Newsletter

Read the leading stories from the world of Business.

Also in Business